Group therapy is one of the most effective tools we can use to transform how we relate with others in the world, and ultimately, how we see ourselves. In the group environment, we learn important skills that help us connect honestly and directly with others. At Meridian, we offer many different groups to meet your needs no matter where you are in your journey.
DBT Skills Groups
Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) Skills Groups provide specific techniques that can help you navigate and tolerate the intense emotions that can come when working through challenging and painful situations. Much like a class, these groups will teach you skills that you can practice in between sessions. There are four modules that each meet for 12 weeks. Each module is focused on one specific skill (see bellow):
- Distress Tolerance
- Interpersonal Effectiveness
- Emotion Regulation
Sex and Intimacy: A group for Women
This weekly group is designed to provide a safe and supportive space for women to empower one another in creating healthy sexual and intimate relationships. Some of the issues addressed are:
- Difficulty committing to long-term relationships.
- Body Image Issues.
- Tendency to choose or attract unavailable or abusive partners.
- Feeling disconnected, shut down or distant from those closest to you.
- Lack of information about healthy sexuality.
- Shame and guilt surrounding sexuality.
- History of intense relationships that are volatile and difficult to sustain.
- Pattern of taking care of others while neglecting your own personal needs.
- Compulsive/addictive behaviors like overeating, substance abuse, sexual behaviors, spending.
Sexual Recovery: A group for Men
This weekly group is designed to provide a safe and supportive space for men focused on sexual recovery and growth. This group aims to improve members' self-esteem, integrity, and communication skills. Some of the issues addressed are:
- Sexual Compulsions / Avoidance
- Consequences & Unmanageability
- Truth-telling / Integrity
- Trauma / Grief
- Taking Responsibility
- Healthy Sexuality / Relationships
- Assertiveness Skills
Betrayed Partners Group
This weekly group is designed to provide a safe and supportive space for women who have been impacted by their partner's infidelity or sexual compulsivity. Some of the issues addressed are:
- Navigating the aftermath of discovery.
- Managing symptoms of PTSD.
- Setting healthy boundaries.
- Addressing feelings of shame, anger and confusion.
- Redefining and healing sexuality.